Saturday, January 15, 2011

The King's Speech (& other Movie Reviews)

Kath asked what I thought of The King's Speech, and my response got rather wordy, so I thought I'd give it a post of its own.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and thought everyone was brilliant really.....couldn't really single any one performance out. Geoffrey Rush was just fabulous, especially when playing an amateur thespian, and Helena Bonham Carter....who knew? She was perfect as the Queen Mother (as I will always think of her). I loved that Princess Margaret was fantastic little Karen in Outnumbered (and Princess Elizabeth looked vaguely familiar too). Guy Pearce...lordy, no hint of an Aussie accent there - a long, LONG way from Ramsay Street! Winston Churchill made me laugh....isn't he Peter Pettigrew from the Harry Potter movies??? Those jowls were fabulous. But Colin Firth.....how hard would that role have been? Seriously, he did a fabulous job. Made me sad to think what kind of upbringing he had.....I've never had much interest in the Royal Family but this made me want to find out more.

Other movies we've seen these holidays? Tangled was a surprise - Miss R & I went to see this on Monday and both thoroughly enjoyed it. I was a bit put off by how many under-10's were there, but it really would appeal to all age groups. There were a few very funny lines and the songs were good. It reminded me of  The Little Mermaid actually, in its tone (and THAT is a movie I've seen thousands of times!!) and I reckon this is another movie I'd be happy to watch again.

We all went to see Gulliver's Travels (or Gulliver's Travellers, as Miss R kept calling it) and I was expecting cr*p, but it wasn't actually that bad. You would have to be a Jack Black fan though - I loved him in School of Rock - as he plays the same type in all his movies.

Looks like we've missed Narnia though - no longer playing at Wallis (my cinema of choice) and I refuse to see anything at Marion since they introduced seat numbers on the tickets. Sorry, but *I* like to choose where I sit, not the computer. I had no interest in seeing Burlesque except Cher was on the Graham Norton show the other day and it made me re-think my position. Miss R is off to a friend's for 2 nights next week, so Mr G and I might go see something after work.....good grief, I can't remember the last movie we saw together, just the 2 of us!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that, Kay - I agree wholeheartedly re The King's Speech - the only movie I've seen this holidays. His admission to Lionel how his nanny treated him made me realise just how awful his upbringing was. That and the cold, cheerless rooms he often found himself in with the echoing on the floorboards - not a lot of cosy comforts in his life.

    Sapph and LC are huge Narnia fans (book and movies) but both reckoned that the Dawn Treader wasn't as good as the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each movie you mention is on my wish list. I wonder if I will get to any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhu, we see movies in school hols and that's about it! (And I haven't had to contend with any major flooding.....)

    ReplyDelete